Sunday, April 19, 2020

Julia Kaminski my great-grandfather's sister


This is my great-grandfather’s sister, Julia Kaminski. Julia was born about 1896 in Jozefowa, Poland. Her parents were Jan (John) Kaminski and Eva Holzman. She immigrated to the USA in 1914 with her sister, Amelia's daughter Eva. 



Julia married Otto Engel in 1916 at the Immanuel Lutheran Church in Scranton, Pennsylvania. 



Otto and Julia had at least 3 children together, guessing from the group photo that I have. At some point they made the decision to move their family to Argentina. They continued to communicate with my great-grandparents, and sending pictures of their home in Argentina. Family history says that there was an earthquake in Argentina, and they were never heard from again. From the research I have done, this must have been the San Juan earthquake in 1944, when 10,000 people died. The three pictures on the bottom of the group photo are of their home in Argentina. I am hoping beyond hope that someone from the family survived, and that maybe someday I will have a DNA match to this side of the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment